Re: CD and DVD ISO images

David Boles wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
| David Boles wrote:
|
|> Gee. Sorry. I was just trying to help you and your friend. And I did
|> offer
|> a reasonable solution. A way to make a CD set from an existing, already
|> downloaded, official, Fedora 8 DVD and official Fedora 8 updated packages
|> downloaded from official Fedora mirrors into a CD set of Fedora. Even if
|> you did *not* have a local DVD source this would make the CD isos without
|> that. And Jigdo, bluntly, is so simple to use that anyone that *thinks*
|> that they can use Linux should be able to do it.
|>
|> But what you want is a DVD with CD isos for everyone instead of an
|> installable DVD iso that I, and many, many others, could use with out the
|> magic, smoke, and mirrors. No thanks.
|
| That is my proposal. See my first email in this thread.
|
| Specifically, why is it a bad idea?

The reason CDs were dropped was, as I understood it, to give the mirrors a
space break. DVD and not a duplicate package set on 5 CDs. You are
proposing two DVDs. One a 'real' DVD and one a DVD made of 5 CDs isos.

Not so. One DVD, structured differently.

Sounds to me like the same thing. You, or someone, proposed an install DVD
made up from 5 CD isos? When I see the Anaconda that will do that reliably
I might support it.

My plan is to discuss it here, then take it to the Anaconda list.

|> And I think that it makes more sense the way it is now than with the hair
|> brained CD isos in a DVD iso solution that you propose.
|>
|> BTW - While I was preparing dinner I started this 'process' and I am
|> currently working on the fifth, there are five total in the set, CD iso.
|> If you had not been such a hard a$$ you could had CDs to hand to your
|> friend by tomorrow at the latest.
|
| So what? I've been using Linux for a decade or so, but I don't think it
| should be as hard for others as it's been for me. I've been using and
| recommending jigdo for around half that time.
| See
| http://www.redhat.com/archives/phoebe-list/2003-January/thread.html#00226
| - it's just gone five years old.
|
| I'm not proposing a solution to a problem _I_ find insurmountable. I'm
| proposing a solution to a problem I see as being fairly wide-spread. I
| have here seven Pentium IVs and later that came without DVD drives. All
| are suitable for running Linux, and several do.

I have been using Linux since late 1998 or early 1999. Linux today is no
where near as difficult to use as it was then. I came from OS/2 Warp. That

Look me up at googlism.com Some (but not all) references are to me.

was *difficult* to configure. After using OS/2 Linux, again using, was
easy to configure. Except for all of the hardware that was not yet
supported. The software that would crash. A KDE version update of almost
any kind was a sure disaster.

Todays Linux, with a lot of work done by good people is IMO easy to
install and configure.

Your 'mate' should get the LIVE-CD. That's what they're for, to try before
you buy. Somethings might be missing. But not much. And it does install.

My proposal has nothing to do with the desirability of the live CD; sometimes that might be acceptable, sometimes not. My mate William runs Linux, just not Fedora. If he wanted it at all, he'd want the lot.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait