Re: CD and DVD ISO images

John Summerfield wrote:
| David Boles wrote:
|>
|> John Summerfield wrote:

|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |
|> |> |

|> |
|> | If you'd read the whole thread, you'd know disk space isn't an issue.
|> | There are no separate CD images.
|>

|> Gee I was referring to the mirrors that are doing this for free. Not your
|
| As am I.
|
|> drive space. Ta' know downloading, storing, keeping duplicate packages,
|> stuff like that. All for free I said again.
|
| Maybe you should read the thread.

|> would
|> These

|> |
|> | I've been using (and recommending) Jigdo for years. I don't recall
|> | seeing official Fedora jigdoes around.
|>

|> There are no official Fedora CD sets for Fedora 8, that I know of,
|> available. I would trust the ones from the site I recommended. Did you
|> actually read the pages?
|
| I know about jigdo, I've been using it and recommending it for years. If
| there are no official CD images, it's not going to help reconstruct them.
|>
|> The jigdo uses *your* already official downloaded Fedora DVD packages and
|> downloads *official* updated packages from *official* Fedora mirrors to
|> replace the old ones. And then makes new iso(s). These are not *trust me*
|> isos by some third party.
|
| My proposal would have official CD sets and official DVD sets in (about)
| the same disk space as required for just DVD sets. Same at Fedora'a
| sites, same as at the mirrors.
|
| _I_ don't care so much about _MY_ disk space, I'll just go get another,
| bigger, drive. or delete something.
|
| My proposal would have no fiddling with jigdo. Fiddling with jigdo just
| adds to the complications.

Gee. Sorry. I was just trying to help you and your friend. And I did offer
a reasonable solution. A way to make a CD set from an existing, already
downloaded, official, Fedora 8 DVD and official Fedora 8 updated packages
downloaded from official Fedora mirrors into a CD set of Fedora. Even if
you did *not* have a local DVD source this would make the CD isos without
that. And Jigdo, bluntly, is so simple to use that anyone that *thinks*
that they can use Linux should be able to do it.

But what you want is a DVD with CD isos for everyone instead of an
installable DVD iso that I, and many, many others, could use with out the
magic, smoke, and mirrors. No thanks.

And I think that it makes more sense the way it is now than with the hair
brained CD isos in a DVD iso solution that you propose.

BTW - While I was preparing dinner I started this 'process' and I am
currently working on the fifth, there are five total in the set, CD iso.
If you had not been such a hard a$$ you could had CDs to hand to your
friend by tomorrow at the latest.

Have a good day.
- --

~  David