Re: CD and DVD ISO images

David Boles wrote:

Gee. Sorry. I was just trying to help you and your friend. And I did offer
a reasonable solution. A way to make a CD set from an existing, already
downloaded, official, Fedora 8 DVD and official Fedora 8 updated packages
downloaded from official Fedora mirrors into a CD set of Fedora. Even if
you did *not* have a local DVD source this would make the CD isos without
that. And Jigdo, bluntly, is so simple to use that anyone that *thinks*
that they can use Linux should be able to do it.

But what you want is a DVD with CD isos for everyone instead of an
installable DVD iso that I, and many, many others, could use with out the
magic, smoke, and mirrors. No thanks.

That is my proposal. See my first email in this thread.

Specifically, why is it a bad idea?

And I think that it makes more sense the way it is now than with the hair
brained CD isos in a DVD iso solution that you propose.

BTW - While I was preparing dinner I started this 'process' and I am
currently working on the fifth, there are five total in the set, CD iso.
If you had not been such a hard a$$ you could had CDs to hand to your
friend by tomorrow at the latest.

So what? I've been using Linux for a decade or so, but I don't think it should be as hard for others as it's been for me. I've been using and recommending jigdo for around half that time. See http://www.redhat.com/archives/phoebe-list/2003-January/thread.html#00226 - it's just gone five years old.

I'm not proposing a solution to a problem _I_ find insurmountable. I'm proposing a solution to a problem I see as being fairly wide-spread. I have here seven Pentium IVs and later that came without DVD drives. All are suitable for running Linux, and several do.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait