Re: Off Topic: can anyone recommend a USB KVM

Tim:
>> Not when I've looked.  Most KVMs were either all PS/2 or all USB,
>> inputs and outputs.  Ones that were a converter in the middle were
>> the least common available products, around here.

John Summerfield:
> Odd. I'd have thought you had ready access to Laser. I have one, PS/2
> in and 4X USB out. It's junk. Regularly locks up requiring cycling
> power, a hassle as it's host-powered. It's got selection buttons, but
> common keystrokes also cause it to switch. Sometimes its interaction
> with the host USB causes the latter to fail. Most recently it's ceased
> to work.

I've come across the junk Laser brand a lot around here, I wouldn't
touch it with a bargepole.  But I haven't seen many models that convert.
I've seen more all-USB or all-PS/2 models, on the whole, than
combination models.  Just luck of the draw, I suppose.

I know someone who's gone through two different Laser models, one USB,
one PS/2.  Both suffered the same issues as you described, the USB one
being far worse.  Oddly, I expected it to be the other way around.  PS/2
is finicky about hot plugging, and PCs can be brought to their knees by
a lot of IRQ activity on the PS/2 port (for those with a cruel bent,
giving someone a mouse cable with an intermittent fault is a nasty trick
to play on someone).

He was regularly having to pull out all the connections to get the thing
to reset.  Rebooting a PC might lock up all the other PCs (yep, the PCs
actually locked up), or just leave them with no way to mouse or keyboard
control them.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.