Re: Updates SOLVED!

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 17:02, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> ----
> >> I really have to admire the ingenuity...telling someone that is stepping
> >> on their dick with cross repo contamination from yum to use apt-get.
> >>
> >> I'm going to monitor this thread for sure
> >>
> >> Craig
> >
> > The only reason I suggested apt-get, is that he would be effectively
> > starting with a clean sheet. I gave him the URL for adding freshrpms
> > to /etc/apt/sources.list, so he then could do an apt-get update, which
> > would download the package lists for the first time with apt-get, for
> > fedora updates, everything, and "only" freshrpms. Livna not entering the
> > equation.
> >
> > Then an apt-get install vlc  may have printed out some usefull info.
> >
> > If he does have some problem with Yum, trying with Apt, if Apt worked ok,
> > might confirm it.
> >
> > He doesn't appear to have read what I said though, as now he's trying to
> > get apt-get to get vlc from Livna.
> >
> > I'll post him back on list, and try and find out what he's done.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
>     Hi Nigel, I wanted to see if apt-get would work with livna and found
> out it doesn't as I sent you. I am now looking at removing yum from this
> F8 and from the F8 DVD re-load an entire new yum.  But not yet sure I
> can do that.

Now be carefull!! You've already been caught once on the deps to be removed
issue. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can remove Yum with Yum, and it
may want to remove RPM. I may be wrong here too, but that's the last thing
you want to do.

>     But it doesn't matter much. This is just fun to see if old time
> methods work. If not nothing much lost.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, and Apt.

Did you try apt-get just with the freshrpms line (that I gave to you)
uncommented in /etc/apt/sources.list?  Comment out the livna line (with a #
at the start of the line), then run apt-get update, which will update the
package lists to include the freshrpms one.

Now, and before doing anything else, type synaptic on the CLI (presuming you
installed it). Click on "Settings", then "Preferences", and under the
"General" tab, "Appearance" , check the box "Show package properties in the
main window", then Apply, and OK.

Now I don't know where you originally got vlc from, as it seems that at some
time or other you've had both the livna, and freshrpms repo's enabled.

Be that as it may, scroll down to the x264 package, click on it, and select
the "Common" tab in the lower half of the window. This will tell you who the
maintainer is. Mine came from freshrpms, and says.
Maintainer:  Matthias Saou <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

As your near it, scroll back to vlc, and again click on it (whether it's
installed or not), and again look at who the maintainer is for the available,
or installed package.

Now scroll to wxGTK, and check out the maintainer. wxGTK is from Fedora, so
that won't be a problem as regards 3rd party repo conflicts.

Now scroll back to mpeg32dec. This should show Matthias Saou as the maintainer
(freshrpms). It does in my case, where vlc was installed from freshrpms.

There were a bunch of other deps when I installed vlc from freshrpms, and I
gave you a list of these on a previous post. Check these out also on synaptic
to verify that they all have the same maintainer.

The only ones that are repo specific (not from fedora)  are a52dec, faad2,
libdvbpsi, libdvdnav, libopendaap, and vcdimager. All the rest are from
fedora, and should present no problems. We've already confirmed that if you
originally got vlc from freshrpms, the maintainer should be shown as Matthias
Saou, so the packages above should also show him as the maintainer.

Presuming that when you checked x264, and mpeg32dec, that they both came from
Matthias Saou's freshrpms, and the packages above are also showing the
maintainer as Matthias Saou move on to the next paragraph.

As per my earlier post, scroll back to SDL, and see if it's installed. If not,
install it. Same goes for akode, and perhaps pwlib (not sure about that one
though). All these packages are from Fedora, so if not installed, are not
going to create any 3rd party repo conflicts anyway.

Now and just for the sake of it, do another apt-get update. Packages may have
been updated during this time of checking out the status of various packages.

2 choices now. You can run apt-get dist-upgrade, which will bring the system
up to speed with all the latest updates, or if your impatient try for the vlc
package again, with an apt-get install vlc.

Please post the output of the apt-get install vlc if go for that.

All the best Karl. Frustrating isn't it.

Nigel.