Re: Upgrade Hard Drive

From: "James Kosin" <jkosin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, 2008, January 09 11:16

Tom Spec wrote:
| I am planning to move from one HD to another I need a bit of feedback. I am partitioned as follows:
|
| sda1 /boot (Linux Partition) 256M
| sda2 LVM PV (Linux LVM Partition) 20G
|
| I was planning to.....
|
| 1) attach the new HD
| 2) boot to a rescue CD
| 3) partition the new HD exactly how the old one is
| 4) dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
| 5) dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
| 6) make the new HD bootable
| 7) disconnect the old HD
| 8) boot
|
| My questions...
|
| - Is this basically the right procedure?
| - Do I need to boot to the rescue CD or would single user (or emergency) mode be good enough (in step 2)?
| - Exactly what steps are required to "make the new HD bootable"?
| - Is there a way for me to make the old hd "unbootable" so I can leave it in, but make sure it's the new one that boots?
|
| Thanks for any feedback,
| Tom

Tom,

This will ONLY work if both drives are the SAME (IDENTICAL) in size. Check the drives geometry to be sure they are.

(a)   Yes, it looks to be the correct procedure.
(b) Boot the rescue CD. If any part of the OS is loaded off the current HD, you run the risk of problems and not having a boot-able new drive.
(c)   Depends on the boot loader you are using.  Lilo, Grub, etc.
(d) You should be able to leave the old drive in; as long as you make sure you swap the master boot-able drive in the BIOS.

Good Luck,
James

That's not completely accurate, James.

When I upgrade the disk it is at intervals such that it's cheapest to
go to a larger disk. That leaves the disk heads and sectors/track
parameters unchanged. (I do check that to be sure.) If that is the
case I simply dd the smaller disk to the larger disk. Then I run fdisk
to partition the new space. Then I create mount points for the new
partitions. Then I edit the new disk's fstab to match the new partitions.
Finally I remove the old disk, move the new disk to the master position
on the cable, and fire up the machine.

I usually link in the new space on the disk as data storage. I create
directories and link them to overfull directories in /usr, /home,
or /var. I use the rest for storing the next distro's DVD images and
for backups, since I usually have two disks. I back up critical
configuration data and user created data. The rest is restorable from
original media.

{^_^}   Joanne