Re: Upgrade Hard Drive

On Jan 9, 2008 2:16 PM, James Kosin <jkosin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This will ONLY work if both drives are the SAME (IDENTICAL) in size.
> Check the drives geometry to be sure they are.

Not quite. It will work if the new is BIGGER than the old. They do not
have to be the same size. You will end up will a bunch of
unpartitioned space at the end that you can reclaim with a new
partiton or resizing the existing ones with gparted.

> (d)   You should be able to leave the old drive in; as long as you make
> sure you swap the master boot-able drive in the BIOS.

Based on my experience leaving the old drive in and booting is the
wrong thing to do. Best case, it won't boot due to fs/LVM volume label
conflicts. Worst case, the system will boot with part of the old disk
being used and part of the new disk being used. I think Linux is safe
enough that it will just stop the boot process when there are two
partitions with the same label for the root partition. Windows,
however, is not so smart ... or rather it tries to outsmart you and
helpfully uses files across both disks and rewrites the configuration
such that it won't boot again after you pull one out if you have
booted once with both in.

/Mike