Upgrade Hard Drive

I am planning to move from one HD to another I need a bit of feedback.  I am partitioned as follows:

sda1 /boot (Linux Partition) 256M
sda2 LVM PV (Linux LVM Partition) 20G

I was planning to.....

1) attach the new HD
2) boot to a rescue CD
3) partition the new HD exactly how the old one is
4) dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
5) dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
6) make the new HD bootable
7) disconnect the old HD
8) boot

My questions...

- Is this basically the right procedure?
- Do I need to boot to the rescue CD or would single user (or emergency) mode be good enough (in step 2)?
- Exactly what steps are required to "make the new HD bootable"?
- Is there a way for me to make the old hd "unbootable" so I can leave it in, but make sure it's the new one that boots?

Thanks for any feedback,
Tom