Re: OT: Apple list?

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 17:58 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 06/01/2008, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Apple, like Microsoft has a support web site and offers direct support
> >> consistent with the fact that they are revenue based and that is the
> >> part of why you use a proprietary OS, for their support.
> >
> > Yeah, right. My father uses some version or another of Windows XP. He
> > had to pay $39 for a full year's support just to email a human that
> > would help him configure his HP printer. That is on top of the $$$ for
> > the OS. Windows (I don't know about Mac) comes with installation
> > support free, and no more. Much like a crack dealer.
> >
> > I just looked, and it seems that the price has since gone up 50%:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=16&y=16&prid=3219&gprid=37013
>
> With apple, you pretty much have to buy applecare to even get anyone to
> talk about defective hardware after the ridiculously short 90 day
> warranty or to get any support beyond the free web forum.
>
> But, it isn't so much about the cost as whether the machine is working
> for you or you are working to make the machine do anything.  Macs tend
> to "just work".
---
heck, in this neck of the woods (and I would guess elsewhere too), you
have to purchase an additional $100 Preferred Care card to get Apple to
look at your computer in less than a week. In some circles, that would
be called extortion. The media congratulates Apple's successful business
plan.

That said, I think that that they are as big if not bigger whores than
Microsoft, but just not as successful at it.

Craig