Re: Decorum needs to be raised.

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 04Jan2008 11:26, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> | > I have been in IT for 40 years, and in that time I learned a lesson or two.
> | >
> | > a)  Respect the other person.  He is entitled to different ideas.
> | >
> | > b) I was once a beginner with lots to learn, and with only a fixed
> | > number of hours in the day. Respect me if you recognize the fact that I
> | > may not know all the answers. The same applies for your peers.
> |
> | What do you propose be done with people that claim they know *much* more
> | than they actually do?
>
> You could ignore them instead of flaming them. My delete-thread key gets
> regular use. I still need to duplicate GMail's mute-thread function...

So, ignore them even if they are dishing out potentially damaging advice?
Or, when you politely point out their errors their response is vitriolic?

Of course one should not be dragged down to their level.  Yet it does happen.

The thing is everyone knows they should all watch their P's and Q's yet they
don't always.  There is no need to be reminded of decorum since everyone
knows how to properly conduct themselves.  It just doesn't always happen.

--
People who go to conferences are the ones who shouldn't.