Re: Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

Chris Snook:
>> For home use, I find 'chown -R luser:luser /var/www/html' to be a suitable
>> solution.  You can also 'ln -s /var/www/html ~/public_html' and then any
>> scripts or html editing apps that look in your home directory will be
>> happy, but you don't need to worry about enabling home directory support in
>> httpd and SELinux.

Chris G:
> Yes, that's one way of doing it (the chown) but it's often necessary
> to fix things after installations which often have to be done as root
> and thus put root owned stuff there.

It's usually user-written files that a user will keep on tweaking.
Other things installed as root probably only need some initial
customisation (e.g. adding your own search engine), and occasional
tweaking, so it's not such an annoyance to "su -" for them.

If one plays with blogs, etc., through an interface, *that* *interface*
should be handling correct ownership and permissions.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.