Re: Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 16:10 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> 2 - In apache's DocumentRoot (/var/www/html in my case)
>
>     Messier with permissions if you want to edit HTML without becoming
>     root all the time.  Also not so convenient for editing even with
>     permissions set up OK as it's not in your home directory.
>
>     Easier to make sure that any outside access can only see what you
>     want to be seen.
>
>     Cleaner/easier URLs without the need for symbolic links.
>
>     Not really practical for multi-user but this doesn't apply for me.
>
>     Need to back up separately from /home (though I suppose you could
>     make /var/html a link across to the /home partition)

I tend to follow this direction:  Change the /var/www/html ownership, or
the ownership of a sub-directory (more preferable), to yourself.  Put a
symlink from your homespace to that location (this is a shortcut for
your editing purposes, files are web served directly from Apache's usual
location for public files).

It's quite practical for multi-users, if they have their own
sub-directories in /var/www/html.  Or you change the group ownership,
and add appropriate users to that web-authoring group.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.