Re: Jigzone

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 00:37 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007 20:37, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > Hi Robert. I don't think there's anything wrong with the site. I tried it
> > > with my FC2 install, which has Sun's jre_1_5_0_06 (needs upgrading), and
> > > with Firefox 2.0.0.9. I'm on dialup, couldn't initially find the
> > > "bubbles" test, so tried the "Ho Ho Ho" puzzle of the day. It did take a
> > > while to load (possibly because of dialup bandwidth), but the jigsaw,
> > > though quite difficult worked fine.
> > >
> > > I'll try it on F8 (which has icedtea), and on F7, where I installed Sun's
> > > JRE recently (jre-1.6...?)
> > >
> > > Nigel.
> >
> > An update on trying the site on F7, and F8.
> >
> > On F7 the site works ok, and the jigsaws load, and play.
> > Firefox version 2.0.0.10
> > Sun's jre is version 1.6.0_03
> > about:plugins details for Sun's java plugin below.
> >
> > Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05
> >
> >     File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >     Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03
> >
> > MIME Type  Description  Suffixes  Enabled
> > application/x-java-vm  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.3  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.4  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.5  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;version=1.6  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_03  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.3  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.4  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.5  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;version=1.6  Java   Yes
> > application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.6.0_03  Java   Yes
> >
> > Moving on to F8.
> >
> > The bubbles test works ok with icedtea, but loading the jigsaw applet times
> > out. Doh. May I suggest that you see what java stuff is showing up in
> > about:plugins in Firefox. You say that you have both icedtea, and Sun's jre
> > 1.6 installed on F8. If Firefox is using Sun's jre, you should see
> [...]

I ended up doing something similar to above.

I did not want to remove IcedTea, because I seem to recall some features
in OpenOffice.org requiring it (gcj) at one point in my past....

I installed the Sun JDK 6u3, then went to jpackage.org and installed
their java-1.6.0-sun-compat to enable alternatives.  I tried to be a
good boy first.

Though even after running alternatives, it left the IcedTea plugin
listed first in about:plugins.  Removing the symlink
of /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so got rid of the IcedTea
plugin, but the site still did not work until I stumbled across one more
little piece to make Sun happy.  I installed compat-libstdc++-33.  Now
the Jigsaw puzzles are working great and the Christmas present to my
wife is now complete....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions,

--Rob