Re: Jigzone

On Monday 24 December 2007 20:37, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 24 December 2007 18:14, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Monday 24 December 2007 02:04, Robert Locke wrote:
> > > Getting ready to switch the wife over to Fedora, but there is one
> > > online app that my be a deal breaker.
> > >
> > > I am trying to run jigzone.com Jigsaw puzzles on F8 (all updated).
> > > Tried on two machines.  One has just IcedTea while the other has both
> > > IcedTea and Sun JRE 1.6.  Both machines play the pretty bubble test the
> > > jigzone.com site suggests, but fail to play the puzzles.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else been able to get this going or have any suggestions?
> > >
> > > --Rob
> >
> > Hi Robert. I don't think there's anything wrong with the site. I tried it
> > with my FC2 install, which has Sun's jre_1_5_0_06 (needs upgrading), and
> > with Firefox 2.0.0.9. I'm on dialup, couldn't initially find the
> > "bubbles" test, so tried the "Ho Ho Ho" puzzle of the day. It did take a
> > while to load (possibly because of dialup bandwidth), but the jigsaw,
> > though quite difficult worked fine.
> >
> > I'll try it on F8 (which has icedtea), and on F7, where I installed Sun's
> > JRE recently (jre-1.6...?)
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> An update on trying the site on F7, and F8.
>
> On F7 the site works ok, and the jigsaws load, and play.
> Firefox version 2.0.0.10
> Sun's jre is version 1.6.0_03
> about:plugins details for Sun's java plugin below.
>
> Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05
>
>     File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
>     Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03
>
> MIME Type  Description  Suffixes  Enabled
> application/x-java-vm  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.2  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.3  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.4  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.5  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.6  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_03  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.2  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.3  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.4  Java   Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1  Java   Yes
> [...]

Meanwhile, back at the the ranch, and some time later after installing Sun's
JRE and messing with Java stuff on F8.

Without wishing to ramble on about all the stuff I've tried to get this site
icedtea browser plugin appears to be the problem.

I use Apt, and Synaptic, but Yum should do this ok, as below.
yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin

Having done this Firefox now loads the jigsaw applet ok on F8.

I presume the Sun JRE install went ok, and you have now a "java" directory
in /usr.

The only other thing neccessary is the symlink below run as root.

ln
-s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Sorry about kmails wordwrapping. The line should start as. ln -s

Hope you get this working ok. The jigsaws are a lot of fun.

Nigel.