Re: Jigzone

On Wednesday 26 December 2007 16:01, Robert Locke wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 00:37 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

Nigel. He say.

> > Meanwhile, back at the the ranch, and some time later after installing
> > Sun's JRE and messing with Java stuff on F8.
> >
> > Without wishing to ramble on about all the stuff I've tried to get this
> > site loading up the jigsaws on F8, this I believe is the best solution,
> > as the icedtea browser plugin appears to be the problem.
> >
> > I use Apt, and Synaptic, but Yum should do this ok, as below.
> > yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin
> >
> > Having done this Firefox now loads the jigsaw applet ok on F8.
> >
> > I presume the Sun JRE install went ok, and you have now a "java"
> > directory in /usr.
> >
> > The only other thing neccessary is the symlink below run as root.
> >
> > ln
> > -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >
> > Sorry about kmails wordwrapping. The line should start as. ln -s
> >
> > Hope you get this working ok. The jigsaws are a lot of fun.
>
> I ended up doing something similar to above.
>
> I did not want to remove IcedTea, because I seem to recall some features
> in OpenOffice.org requiring it (gcj) at one point in my past....
>
> I installed the Sun JDK 6u3, then went to jpackage.org and installed
> their java-1.6.0-sun-compat to enable alternatives.  I tried to be a
> good boy first.
>
> Though even after running alternatives, it left the IcedTea plugin
> listed first in about:plugins.  Removing the symlink
> of /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so got rid of the IcedTea
> plugin, but the site still did not work until I stumbled across one more
> little piece to make Sun happy.  I installed compat-libstdc++-33.  Now
> the Jigsaw puzzles are working great and the Christmas present to my
> wife is now complete....
>
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions,
>
> --Rob

Hi Rob. Glad you got the jigsaws working.

The reason I mentioned doing a,
yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin
which should not affect the rest of icedtea that is installed, is because of a
little experience I had with Totem on FC6, and a later Fedora version. An
update for Totem put a load of libtotem plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
(unknown to me at the time). When I next started Firefox, and tried to listen
to something on a site, a window opened saying totem didn't know how to play
this file. Odd I thought, as there weren't any totem plugins in mozilla
plugins before. Taking a look at about:plugins in FF, sure enough there was
now a load of totem stuff. Taking a little trip down
to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, I renamed them all. Fired up FF again, and
about:plugins, and no totem stuff. Job done, or so I thought. Some time
later, and not FC6, but on F7, or 8, the totem plugins problem is back, and
again after updates.

Interesting, I thought. So back into mozilla/plugins. The renamed ones are
obviously still there, and are deactivated with the renaming, but now I have
a new set of libtotem plugins. The totem update appears to have replaced
them.

Now the moral to this is, that even though you have deleted libjavaplugin.so
from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, an update to icedtea may well replace it, with
the consequence that your wife will be bending your ear that the jigsaws
don't load anymore.

Personally, I think I'd leave it like it is for now, but keep an eye open for
any icedtea updates for F8, checking afterwards to see if the
libjavaplugin.so has been replaced in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. If so, I'd do
the, yum remove java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin. I don't thing it will affect gcg
in OO, as it's just the browser plugin.

All the best, and happy jigsawing.

Nigel.

btw. Apologies about not mentioning compat-libstdc++-33. It was already
installed for something else that had required it.