Re: dual booting fc6, f8

On Sunday 23 December 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But I figured that would probably need an edit of /boot/grub/device.map,
>> but before I did that, I thought I'd run 'grub-install --recheck /dev/sda'
>> sda being the new name for the ide0,0 drive, the old /dev/hda.
>
>There is a fairly strong warning now not to use --recheck , I think.
>
>> So I guess I don't understand how grub works as well as I thought.  The
>> info pages might tell me, but it seems the only way to read them is
>> backwards as once you've gone down a tree to read something, there seems
>> to be only one way to back up, using the backspace key, but you never get
>> back to the main menu so its easier to 'q'uit it and restart it, but that
>> screws with ones train of thought till not even 2 more cups of coffee
>> makes it make sense.
>
>I really think it saves time in the long run
>to learn how to use grub interactively.
>It's not well-documented, in my opinion,

I nominate that for the statement of the decade honors.  Do you do standup on
the side? :)

>but it is not too difficult.
>Basically you have to type in the commands
>that appear in the grub stanza:
>grub> root (hd1,0)
>grub> kernel /vmlinuz...
>grub> initrd /initrd...
>grub> boot
>
>grub will try to finish /vmlinuz etc if you press TAB,
>so you can see at once if you are in the right place.

And again, this suffers from the requirement that to run grub, you are already
booted to something.  So the drives are already visible.  To the bios, they
are not.

Thanks Tim, and have a Very Merry Christmas.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)