Re: dual booting fc6, f8

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

In attempting to come up with a grub.conf which will boot either version of the os, I kept running into not being able to boot f8 from anything but a fedora kernel.

I have successfully switched the kernel.org 2.6.24-rc6 kernel such that all hard drives are now /dev/sd*.

But I figured that would probably need an edit of /boot/grub/device.map, but before I did that, I thought I'd run 'grub-install --recheck /dev/sda' sda being the new name for the ide0,0 drive, the old /dev/hda.

>From my read of the info page, I assumed it would not write anything, but just check what was there for errors. But it did rewrite /dev/hda1/grub/device.map, placing fd0 above the older assignments, and appending the new sata drive below as /dev/sdc, and replaced a now missing FC2 install on what was /dev/hdb with the /amandatapes drive which was formerly /dev/hdd. There is currently no drive on the middle connector of the first ide cable.

Confusing ain't it?

So, thinking that I needed to re-edit my grub.conf to set the f8 drive as 'root (hd2,0)', I did so. But now none of the f8 boot stanzas work, error 15, file not found.

So I guess I don't understand how grub works as well as I thought. The info pages might tell me, but it seems the only way to read them is backwards as once you've gone down a tree to read something, there seems to be only one way to back up, using the backspace key, but you never get back to the main menu so its easier to 'q'uit it and restart it, but that screws with ones train of thought till not even 2 more cups of coffee makes it make sense.

The other ugly thought is that my bios doesn't see the sata drive (sdc) at all, and the couple of times I made it boot to f8, I had to move all the boot files to /dev/hda1, but specify /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 in the kernel argument line, but that seems to have quit working too.

What is the usual scenario here?

Should I do an hd assignment swap and then chainload to the sata drive? But, if the bios can't see it, I'd have to assume grub cannot either at that stage of the boot.

Or should I just resign myself to having to maintain a boot partition on an pata drive just so the system can even find its bootstrap files? The achilles heel there is that its only a 99 meg partition.

That would allow me to use that 200 megs for a dos partition, but what good is that if the bios can't find it... Sigh.

My thanks to all that have read this far.

I am booting both f7 and f8 and it works fine. I loaded f8 to use the boot partition as the place to put it's setup. Then I added to my f7 grub.conf a title F8 and a chainload ++ to the F8 boot partition.

   This works just fine. If you need more details ask.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User