Re: dual booting fc6, f8

Gene Heskett wrote:

> But I figured that would probably need an edit of /boot/grub/device.map,
> but before I did that, I thought I'd run 'grub-install --recheck /dev/sda'
> sda being the new name for the ide0,0 drive, the old /dev/hda.

There is a fairly strong warning now not to use --recheck , I think.

> So I guess I don't understand how grub works as well as I thought.  The
> info pages might tell me, but it seems the only way to read them is
> backwards as once you've gone down a tree to read something, there seems
> to be only one way to back up, using the backspace key, but you never get
> back to the main menu so its easier to 'q'uit it and restart it, but that
> screws with ones train of thought till not even 2 more cups of coffee
> makes it make sense.

I really think it saves time in the long run
to learn how to use grub interactively.
It's not well-documented, in my opinion,
but it is not too difficult.
Basically you have to type in the commands
that appear in the grub stanza:
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz...
grub> initrd /initrd...
grub> boot

grub will try to finish /vmlinuz etc if you press TAB,
so you can see at once if you are in the right place.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366