Sound issue with KDEand Gcompris/Childsplay

	G'day all,
		Earlier this year I set up an old PII400 for the kids to do school
work and (of course) games. It is running FC6 and KDE 3.5.5-0.2.fc6.
When originally setting up the box I had trouble getting the sound
working, but the kids didn't really mind so I left it, thinking it was
the sound card at fault.

	A couple of weeks ago some notification sounds were heard.  Last night
one daughter got sound on both Gcompris and Childsplay.  I did nothing
and she has no idea what she did to get it going. But the sound on these
games is only working on her login only, no one else's.

	This morning I still get the same KDE error from the control centre
Test Sound which I got at the start of the year, saying:

Error while initializing the sound driver.  device: default cannot be
opened for playback (Device or resource busy) The sound server, will
continue using the null output device.

	 If all is being sent to /dev/null why do I have sound?  KDE control
centre says Alsa is being used but rpm -q alsa says it is not installed.
Control centre settings are the same for all users.

	Now the other kids have heard sound on the bigger sister's login, they
want Gcompris and Childsplay to have sound for them too.  I guess I need
to fix it now, but where do I start?

Thanks
Simon Slater
and kids