Re: Squid wont start after update?

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 17:28 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

> >> All I see with cache_dir are commented?
> >>
> >> less  /etc/squid/squid.conf | grep cache_dir
> >>
> >> #       Applies to any cache_dir lines listed below this.
> >> #  TAG: cache_dir
> >> #       cache_dir Type Directory-Name Fs-specific-data [options]
> >> #       You can specify multiple cache_dir lines to spread the
> >> #       cache_dir ufs Directory-Name Mbytes L1 L2 [options]
> >> #       cache_dir aufs Directory-Name Mbytes L1 L2 [options]
> >> #       cache_dir diskd Directory-Name Mbytes L1 L2 [options] [Q1=n] [Q2=n]
> >> #       block-size=n defines the "block size" for COSS cache_dir's.
> >> #       leads to a maximum cache_dir size of 512<<24, or 8 GB.  Note
> >> #       has written some objects to the cache_dir.
> >> #       2 full stripes for object hits. (ie a COSS cache_dir will reject
> >> #       read-only, no new objects should be stored to this cache_dir
> >> #       the cache_dir lines with the smallest max-size value first and the
> >> # cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 100 16 256   <---- UNCOMMENT THIS LINE
> >> #       'cache_dir' directory, but you may specify an alternate
> >> #       a representation of the cache_dir name where each / is replaced
> >> #       with '.'. This is needed to allow adding/removing cache_dir
> >> #       If have more than one 'cache_dir', and %s is not used in the name
> >> #       corresponds to the order of the 'cache_dir' lines in this
> >> #       configuration file.  If you change the order of the 'cache_dir'
> >> #       the correct 'cache_dir' entry (unless you manually rename
> >> #       better to keep these index files in each 'cache_dir' directory.
> >>

> > Oh, yikes!  Ok, uncomment the line I marked above and retry the
> > "squid -z" or "service squid restart".
> >
> > Note that the line above will result in a 100MB cache, so make sure
> > the /var filesystem has at least 120MB free.  Check free space via
> > the "df -h /var" command.  On my system:
> >
> > 	[root@prophead ~]# df -h /var
> > 	Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > 	/dev/hda5             4.0G  653M  3.1G  18% /var
> >
> > so I have 3.1G free.
> Ok, I fixed the line in squid.conf and then:
> squid -z
> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
> 'visible_hostname'
>
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE16): Terminated abnormally.
> CPU Usage: 0.005 seconds = 0.003 user + 0.002 sys
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
> Aborted
>
> I think the configuration file is hopelessly messed up and it's
> comprised of a "zillion" lines!

No, it's not hopelessly messed up.  You have the default config and you
need to tweak it.

If squid can't find a FQDN for the machine it's running on (no,
"localhost" doesn't qualify), you must set the "visible_hostname"
parameter in the config file so it can use it when sending out error
messages.  So, either set a hostname in the regular manner or put one in
the squid config file.

Regular manner:
1. Edit /etc/sysconfig/network and put in an FQDN:

	HOSTNAME=hostname.domain.com

That will make it "take" on subsequent reboots

2. As root, run "hostname hostname.domain.com" to set the name
immediately.

> I think the best thing to do is yum remove squid and hope that it gets
> everything, then reinstall squid.

You'll be right back where you started.

> I didn't have this much trouble initially on the two computers I
> installed it in.

Probably an older version of squid which was a bit more "relaxed" as to
what was needed in the config file.

If you want to contact me off-list and tell me how you want squid to
run, I'll send you an appropriate squid config file for V2.6-STABLE17
(the latest F8 version).
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -