Re: Sound issue with KDEand Gcompris/Childsplay

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 10:34 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> 	G'day all,
> 		Earlier this year I set up an old PII400 for the kids to do school
> work and (of course) games. It is running FC6 and KDE 3.5.5-0.2.fc6.
> When originally setting up the box I had trouble getting the sound
> working, but the kids didn't really mind so I left it, thinking it was
> the sound card at fault.
> 	A couple of weeks ago some notification sounds were heard.  Last night
> one daughter got sound on both Gcompris and Childsplay.  I did nothing
> and she has no idea what she did to get it going. But the sound on these
> games is only working on her login only, no one else's.
>
> 	This morning I still get the same KDE error from the control centre
> Test Sound which I got at the start of the year, saying:
>
> Error while initializing the sound driver.  device: default cannot be
> opened for playback (Device or resource busy) The sound server, will
> continue using the null output device.
>
> 	 If all is being sent to /dev/null why do I have sound?  KDE control
> centre says Alsa is being used but rpm -q alsa says it is not installed.
> Control centre settings are the same for all users.
>
> 	Now the other kids have heard sound on the bigger sister's login, they
> want Gcompris and Childsplay to have sound for them too.  I guess I need
> to fix it now, but where do I start?
>
> Thanks
> Simon Slater
> and kids

	Well now it gets more confusing.  The sound on the 1 user login, where
sound on these 2 programmes worked, stopped.  After a reboot, I logged
in and soung worked in both Gcompris and Childsplay, but only if one is
running at a time.  Starting Gcompris first then simultaneously running
Childsplay, the first had sound not the latter, which also locked on
quitting.

	So the sound is working, but I still don't know how!

--
Regards
Simon