Re: /var/log/messages

Okay, I'll bite!

How do the messages get into the messages file in the first place?

There should be a file /var/run/syslogd.pid which contains the pid of the syslog daemon. If it exists then you're running syslog from the /etc/init.d/syslog script. If it doesn't exist you might check to see if it's running at all with ps -fe | grep syslog .

I suggest that you do a man syslogd to find out where the syslog.conf file is.

FWIW, almost all messages going to /var/log/* are handled by the syslog facility so if there's no configuration file I have no idea what happens.

--jc

david walcroft wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
John Cornelius wrote:

I suppose that adding:

bpalogin.*   /var/log/bpalogin/messages

to /etc/syslog.conf would be too easy but it might do it for you. It
should go before the omnibus line that sends *.info to /var/log/messages.

I don't believe this will work with syslogd. It may work with some
of the newer replacements. You may want to read the syslog.conf man
page to see the formats that it accepts.

Mikkel

I find that I don't have a 'syslog.conf' in /etc/ and no man syslog,conf.

   david