Re: Seahorse vs Evolution ?

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 13:29 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I apologize for starting a second thread on this issue, but I have done
> some exploring, and some fixing since the original post "Subject: End of
> F8 install -- frustration !"
>
> I have checked other seldom used 'users' that I have created for my
> system.  They are not prompted with "Enter password for default keyring
> to unlock The application 'evolution' (/usr/bin/evolution) wants access
> to the default keyring, but it is locked"
>
> Somehow I have denied permission for Evolution to go directly to my ISP
> and fetch new mail at login to my main user without first giving a
> keyring password .  I can't figure out what I did -- or how to undo it.

* snip *

The problem is Fedora 8. It was released (imho) prematurely.
It was released before everything was working as it should - including
the keyring. There are a ton of people who have experienced
evolution/keyring issues - as well as other keyring issues.

I'll tell you how I "undid" the situation on my laptop - I dumped Fedora
8 for CentOS 5.1

However - after doing so, evolution in Fedora 8 had altered my configs
in such a way as to make evolution in CentOS crash - had to wipe my
evolution preferences completely. Fortunately I use imap so that was
trivial. Furthermore, rhythmbox on Fedora 8 altered my playlists such
that they crashed rhythmbox in CentOS 5 and I had to delete them and
start over.

I really wish more open source developers would think about users who
may end up needing to regress before they alter stuff that breaks
earlier versions of their app. But that's a side issue.