Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
What I've sometimes done is a fresh install on the new hardware (raid,
different disk controller, etc.), and then kept only the contents of
/boot perhaps /etc/modprobe.conf, overwriting the rest with a copy of a
system from some other machine and adjusting fstab and grub.conf by
hand, but it seems like there should be an easier way to make an initrd
for new hardware.

mkinitrd

That's not what I meant. Without actually installing on new hardware, how do you know what modules it will need to boot - or even what things like the software raid modules are named? Is there something you could run from a bootable CD that would do the mkinitrd based on what the machine and new root location needs?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx