Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Should I file a bug report for this?
>>>

>> Yes. While it does not affect a large number of people yet, it is
>> something that should be fixed.
>
> Shouldn't that depend on whether anaconda sees a usb drive during the
> install or not - and likewise for firewire?  You should be able to
> include such devices in software raid arrays and they won't be matched
> up at boot time if you don't have the drivers in initrd.

No, it should depend on if the root file system is on a USB drive,
or a raid array containing one. In this case, the root file system
is on a SATA drive. The original initrd did not contain the
usb_storage module, but a later one did. This is causing drive
letter changes. The order of the SCSI controllers should not be
changing. Remember, the initrd is generated for the specific machine.

If you are creating a software RAID array later, you may have to
rebuilt the initrd with additional drivers. But if you are moving
your root file system to a RAID array, you are going to have to make
a lot of changes to the system, so that is the time to add the
additional drivers to initrd.

I wonder if, as a work around, we could define the first SCSI
controller to be the SATA driver, and rebuild initrd. (I am not sure
of the name of the driver in F8, and I can not check it now.)

Mikkel