Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence

Hello Tim,

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:24:38 +1030 Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mikkel:
> >> were you booting with the USB drives plugged in?
>
> wwp:
> > Yes, as usually - this has never been a problem w/ FC5, /dev/sda was
> > always the internal disk.
>
> I, too, dislike the drive assignment shuffling.  I really think that hda
> ought to have been kept for IDE, sda for SCSI, and we should have used
> some form of /dev/usb for USB.  That way, you'd have clear and
> unambiguous ways to address the hardware, where you expect to find it.
> And you also have volume labelling for addressing some volume by name,
> no matter where or how it's attached.
>
> If you boot with your USB drives connected, but never boot *from* the
> USB ports, you could try altering your BIOS booting arrangements, so
> that it doesn't include the USB ports, or they're fallback rather than
> early choices.  You'd expect, this way, that they're looked at later on,
> and the other drive gets the first designator (/dev/sda).

Sure! That still doesn't explain why the order of mounting (and of scsi
discovering?) is shuffled - something not deterministic that sounds a
bit weird when it's question of mounting / ;-). Well, I can live w/ all
the possible workarounds (mounting by name, hal rules, play w/ BIOS
boot order, etc.). Thanks for your help, Tim.

Regards,

--
wwp