Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence

Mikkel:
>> were you booting with the USB drives plugged in?

wwp:
> Yes, as usually - this has never been a problem w/ FC5, /dev/sda was
> always the internal disk.

I, too, dislike the drive assignment shuffling.  I really think that hda
ought to have been kept for IDE, sda for SCSI, and we should have used
some form of /dev/usb for USB.  That way, you'd have clear and
unambiguous ways to address the hardware, where you expect to find it.
And you also have volume labelling for addressing some volume by name,
no matter where or how it's attached.

If you boot with your USB drives connected, but never boot *from* the
USB ports, you could try altering your BIOS booting arrangements, so
that it doesn't include the USB ports, or they're fallback rather than
early choices.  You'd expect, this way, that they're looked at later on,
and the other drive gets the first designator (/dev/sda).

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.