Re: haldaemon problem

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 09:40 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

> >> No I do not have rpm -V hal hal-libs and no messages in the in the log.
> >>

> > Can you "rpm -qa | grep hal" and see if you have any HAL stuff at all?
> > You should have at least hal and hal-libs.  If not, then "yum install
> > hal hal-libs"

> > - Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
> > - CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
> > -                                                                    -
> > -   Errors have occurred. We won't tell you where or why.  We have   -
> > -                         lazy programmers.                          -
> >

> Yes I have hal as shown
>
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -qa | grep hal
> hal-libs-0.5.10-1.fc8.i386
> hal-0.5.10-1.fc8.i386
> hal-devel-0.5.10-1.fc8.i386
> hal-info-20071030-1.fc8.noarch
> [david@reddwarf ~]$
>
> Does hald reside in one of these packages.

Yes, /usr/sbin/hald is contained in hal-0.5.10-1.fc8.i386, as is the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/haldaemon script:

[root@bigdog ~]# rpm -ql hal-0.5.10-1.fc8
   (some files...)
/etc/rc.d/init.d/haldaemon
   (more files...)
/usr/sbin/hald
   (more files...)

It should be running in run level 3 and 5, so as root:

	# chkconfig --level 35 haldaemon on

to ensure it's enabled, then if you're in either run level 3 or 5:

	# service haldaemon start

and it should be running.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     Never put off 'til tommorrow what you can forget altogether!   -