Re: Users and Groups

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[root@k5di ~]# ls -al /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 2007-12-07 04:52 /dev/ttyS0
[root@k5di ~]#

The only way I can ever use Com1 is to be root or belong to the uucp
Group.

not necessarily.  depending on how you access that port, it might have
its attributes changed to match yours automatically.  from my system:

$ ls -l /dev/console
crw------- 1 rpjday root 5, 1 2007-12-06 03:17 /dev/console

notice how i'm the owner of /dev/console?  i never changed that
ownership -- that was done for me based on the fact that that's how i
logged in.

What's a console and what does it have to do with a unix-like system?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx