Re: Users and Groups

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

   I just re-started Users and Groups and clicked on Edit and preferences and
put an x in each of the spaces provided. Then I clicked on Help on the top and
then Help Contents and neither came up.

   The main panel shows nothing but my user data. This is what I saw when I
first tried to make me a Group member of uucp. I could find nothing that has a
thing to do with uucp! When I click on my line it is just about my login. I
gave up.

   I used #usermod karl -a -G uucp and that worked. It made karl a member of
group uucp.

   Went back to Users and Groups trying to verify that usermod did the trick.
This time I clicked Edit again and saw preferences and clicked on that. I saw
all the things with an x in them and thought this must be right. But just to
be sure I removed all the x's.

   To my amazement all the Users and Groups were displayed. I found uucp and
with the Group tab saw karl,uucp were group members. So it worked. I pretended
not to have my karl in the uucp group and clicked on the uucp group and up
came a Group properties window. It would be simple to find karl on that list
and put an x in that line.

   So my two problems with this tool is the lack of help and the way it is
found the first time you use it.

   There needs to be a way to tell the people working on this application what
is wrong. It is not a bug but it needs to get to them.

but there's a *reason* it's done this way, karl.  typically, when you
start adding new users, you're not going to add them to the system
groups.
   I was not adding a new user or group.
 what you'd normally do is first create some new groups like,
say, "sales", "marketing", "helpdesk" and so on.  try it -- create a
new group called "sales".  you'll notice that it shows up in the list
when you ask to see the list of current groups.
   I have no need for a new user.
now when you create new users, you can choose to add them to your new
(non-system) groups.  that's the way it's *supposed* to work.  you're
not supposed to commonly add users to the *system* groups -- that's
why those groups are, by default, not displayed.  if, by chance, you
really *need* to do that, it's still available.  but that's not
displayed by default because it's not encouraged behaviour, that's
all.
Why did someone invent "usermod"? And when you do a ls -l on /dev/ttyS0, the first serial port you notice:

[root@k5di ~]# ls -al /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 2007-12-07 04:52 /dev/ttyS0
[root@k5di ~]#

The only way I can ever use Com1 is to be root or belong to the uucp Group.

  you generally need a really good reason to add a user to a
system group.
   I and many others will find really good reasons.

Karl

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA