Re: Ethernet card won't take dcH Inititalization

Blake Hudson wrote:
> Bryan A Zimmer wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have a computer with Comcast.net as my ISP. My Ethernet cable goes
>> from the network interface to the cable modem.
>>
>> I have another computer with the same setup and DHCP is no problem.
>>
>> On the problem computer, the card does not acquire an Ethernet
>> address, and I don't know enough about DHCP in Linux to configure the
>> client software or configure the Ethernet card.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction? The non-working computer
>> is a standard x86_64 machine with a RealTek "8139too". I compared the
>> scripts and configuration I could find, but got nowhere.
>>
>> The giveaway is theat the "PCLiNK" on the modem does not illuminate
>> (meaning there is no signal from the ethernet card to the cable modem).
>>
> Typically, the link light indicates Ethernet connectivity. If you don't
> have that you're not going to get anywhere. Do you happen to have two
> network cards in this PC? if so you might want to try the other one...
>
> If you only have one network card, check the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file and make sure that the
> 'onboot' option is set to yes. Then restart networking (service network
> restart).

One other problem you may run into is that a lot of cable modems
will only give out one DHCP lease. So if you connect a different NIC
to it, it will not give that NIC a DHCP lease unless you power cycle
the modem, or the first lease has expired.

The fact that you do not get the PCLINK light on the modem may just
mean that it will not talk to the NIC, instead of that there is no
NIC connected to the modem. Do you get any indicator LEDs on the
NIC? You can also run ethtool to check the NIC status. (I think it
works with that NIC.)

You may have to set the MAC address of the NIC before you can use it
with your modem. In the long run, if you are going to be changing
computers connected to the modem, you should invest in a
firewall/router, it makes things so much easier. You don't end up
changing the MAC address of the NIC, or power cycling the modem when
you want to change computers. (As well as having more hten one
connected at a time.)

Mikkel