Re: NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

On Dec 6, 2007 2:36 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Seems a rather bad way to organise the starting order, not having a
> > > network ready before services that need to use a network.
> > >
> > I am working on my first cup of coffee, so I may be way off base,
> > but isn't NetworkManager designed to manage connections when a user
> > logs in? My thinking is the late start is because the programmers
> > figured that it would not have anything to do until the user logs
> > in, and unlocks the "key vault" so that the wireless encryptions are
> > available. In this case, might it work better to use the network
> > service instead of NetworkManager to bring up the network? This may
> > be why NetworkManager runs in run level 5, and network runs in run
> > level 3?
> >
> > Note: I am writing this from a FC6 box, so I can not double check
> > the service names/startup time in F8. Would someone please double
> > check this?
> ----
> I did double check it on F8 and NetworkManager is indeed chkconfig 98 2
> meaning S98 and K02
>
> I think your assessment is probably correct. I gathered from an earlier
> explanation that the 'Live CD' uses NetworkManager by default and
> thereby gather that an installation by a 'Live CD' would mimic that.
>
> Obviously that would cause a few issues - such as the one under
> discussion where ntpd starts before any network starts and I would think
> that a bugzilla entry to NetworkManager should restart any services such
> as ntpd upon establishing a network connection would be the end of
> discussion.

Indeed, my installation was done with a F8 *live* CD. I have put ntpd
to be launched (at startup) after NetworkManager, but it did not solve
the originally reported problem (ntp does not start at booting).
Meanwhile, I asked for help on the NTP list; for more details, see:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/topics

Paul