Re: Fedora 8: X/Nautilus eating CPU

On Dec 3, 2007 3:08 PM, wwp <subscript@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Tod,
>

> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:21:19 -0800 "Tod Merley" <todbot88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 2, 2007 8:01 AM, wwp <subscript@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >

> > > now that my Fedora 8 is fully set up, I notice periodical short
> > > hangs of the Desktop, making its use quite uncomfortable. `top` tells me
> > > that the X and Nautilus processes are eating up to 30% of CPU every
> > > 15-20sec approximately (I can hear some disk activity as well).
> > >
> > > Sensors applets are configured to poll on a longer period basis so it's
> > > probably not them. No cron activity has been set. Anyway, I was running
> > > the same applets with my Fedora Core 5 and GNOME and never encountered
> > > such behaviour before.
> > >
> > > For the record, nautilus-action is installed and there are few mounts
> > > (USB disks) visible onto the Desktop. I've tried closing all apps (but
> > > GNOME Desktop) and this still happens.
> > >
> > > Anybody has this too? Or any hint?
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > --
> > > wwp
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > Hi wwp!
> >
> > If you have a file called "nautilus-debug-log.txt" it may contain a clue.
>
> No such file :). Nothing special in system logs either. Dunno if
> Nautilus is culprit or not, but the GNOME Desktop is unusable here when
> external USB disks are mounted, too painful. XFCE is not affected by
> such illness. Or maybe I should try disabling some mount-related things
> in GNOME or even Nautilus itself?
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> wwp
>
> --

Hi wwp,

Probably not the browser.

Perhaps the USB and your video card are competing for resource space?
"/sbin/lspci -vv" (the last two letters are v and v) and "dmesg >
dmesg.txt" then abiword and then "tail dmesg" may find a clue.

The following link may be helpful:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/usb-guide.xml

Good Hunting!

Tod