Re: Interesting message...

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:05:22 -0500, David Boles wrote:

>> [...] First time you run FF after a big update, it
>> spends a bunch of time checking all the plug-ins you've got installed
>> against possible updated versions - that includes the gazillion
>> language packs

> The language packs come from Fedora. They 'come back' with every version
> change. English is 'built in' but the others are for speakers/readers of
> other languages. If you do not need them you, a user, can not remove
> them. But 'root' can just delete them. Your FF will load (startup) much
> more quickly without them.

	This  rouses a pet peeve I've been meaning to raise here for
quite some time; I'm glad at least to have someone to blame.

	RANT MODE ON.

I've been doing that, and cursing whoever put them there -- why, why, why?

	And if there is some sane reason (which I admit is possible),
couldn't we at least have some choice? Some safer and less tedious way to
dump them en masse?

	I did learn the trick, only recently, of launching firefox from a
terminal su'd to root; that saves logging out -- invariably in the middle
of doing umpteen things -- and then back in as root. But you *still* have
to go through the whol fershlugginer list, clicking yourself into carpal
tunnel (and feeling like you're clicking the tunnel in after you) -- just
to uninstall the blasted things, one by mizzawobble one.

	It's enough to infuriate a saint, or the legendary Griselda.

	There must be some way those of us less than Alpha Plus
Technoids, or with other interests, can give one or two simple commands
as root to dump the lot in one swell foop. What a/o where is that way??

	And making them come back, *without* *even* *asking*, is
inexcusable -- it's downright Evil OS nannyism. Shame!

	Fedora is a wonderful accomplishment. It should not besmirch
itself.

	rant mode off.