Re: Notes 8 Client on F7 (or F8)

On Nov 12, 2007 1:47 AM, Christopher A. Williams <fedoralists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 19:35 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> > > After thinking about it...
> > >
> > > We all have SUN's java installed and alternatives set so that it is the
> > > default.
> > >
> > > We also all have eclipse fully loaded.
> > >
> > > Assuming you installed the jdk1.5.0_09 rpm from SUN:
> > >
> > > # set java alternatives
> > > rm /var/lib/alternatives/java
> > > /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
> > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java 1
> > > /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java
> > > /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_09/bin/java 2
> > > /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac
> > > /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/javac 1
> > > /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac
> > > /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_09/bin/javac 2
> > >
> > > If you have a different version of SUN's java installed, or if its in a
> > > different place, simply modify the lines above appropriately.
> > >
> > > Then try the Lotus Notes install again.
> > >
> > > Good Luck!
> > >

> Tried this and several other suggestions, as well as a number of things
> on the Lotus forums. Nothing works. I get that same Assertion
> 'c->xlib.lock' failed error message.
>
> <rant>
> I'm really not happy with Notes at this point. How does IBM expect to
> sell this for real money. F8 by comparison is FREE and actually works!
>
> Reliably at that.
> </rant>
>
> OK - now that I'm done with my rant, I'd appreciate other suggestions to
> get this going.

Don't know if you ever got this going, but I just stumbled across an
interesting page where the author suggests press ctrl-z at an
appropriate point to suspend the install, thus allowing you to patch
the JRE before it goes south:

http://nocoast-tech.blogspot.com/2007/11/fedora-8-and-lotus-notes-8-java-issues.html