Re: unsubscribe

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 20:38 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I still don't get what the *real* issue is....

Mostly from someone sticking their oar in, telling me to do something
completely unnecessary, not paying enough attention in the first place
to realise it was unnecessary, continuing to argue the point, and having
the bad manners not to respect the common courtesy of not revealing
information that was deliberately withheld.

Hell, there's even an RFC about that sort of thing for IRC, and other
systems.  That when someone goes on-line using some name/ID, you refer
to them using that name, not revealing information to others that they
kept to themselves.

> Spammers don't go through hoops to get email addresses to spam to.

I know, that's why I post from this address, and don't bother trying to
obscure headers.  Addresses in them aren't going to help spammers, they
don't lead to mailboxes.

They could even have been faked, I could have used someone else's domain
name.  I'm presuming that the lack of conversations in that direction
means that people have made a brief check, first.

> If you really want to be "anonymous" then you really need to do a
> better job of it...and there is no point in complaining that someone
> named you when the veil you've placed around yourself is as
> transparent as it is.

I take enough steps to ward off the spam, or stop receiving mail from
those not able to figure out how to do so on their own.  I expressed my
displeasure at the actions of some others too stupid to think about what
they're doing, first.  I could work out the home phone numbers and
street addresses of some people on this list, and post them here, if I
were similarly rude.  But to actually do so would be a grossly
inappropriate thing to do, and I know that without people having to
write instructions to that effect.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.