Re: a paper I can't find...

Tim:
>> And I'm sure that all the mainframe guys must laugh their asses off
>> at businesses which have to go around updating hundreds or thousands
>> of stand-alone terminals, compared to updating one server and doing
>> nothing to all the dumb terminals.

John Summerfield:
> And those of us who know how to update masses of Windows systems will be
> laughing at people like you who don't.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=wsus+site%3Amicrosoft.com

I'm quite well aware that there's techniques for central management.
But whether someone really goes around personally doing it, or plays
around with some form of central automation, doesn't negate the point
that networked computers, like mainframes, simply don't have to do
anything like that.  ;-p

A mainframe with dumb terminals still has advantages even over thin
clients, which have to cope with getting different hardware to fit in.
Not all thin clients are identical, you can end up with a plethora of
configurations to handle them all.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.