Re: How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:05:05AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 13:53 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> >     home$ telnet 127.0.0.1 25
> >     Trying 127.0.0.1...
> >     Connected to 127.0.0.1.
> >     Escape character is '^]'.
> >     220 home.isbd.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1; Mon, 12 Nov 2007
> >     13:52:10 GMT
> >     help
> >     214-2.0.0 This is sendmail
> >     214-2.0.0 Topics:
> >     214-2.0.0       HELO    EHLO    MAIL    RCPT    DATA
> >     214-2.0.0       RSET    NOOP    QUIT    HELP    VRFY
> >     214-2.0.0       EXPN    VERB    ETRN    DSN     AUTH
> >     214-2.0.0       STARTTLS
> >     214-2.0.0 For more info use "HELP <topic>".
> >     214-2.0.0 To report bugs in the implementation see
> >     214-2.0.0       http://www.sendmail.org/email-addresses.html
> >     214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
> >     214 2.0.0 End of HELP info
> >     quit
> >     221 2.0.0 home.isbd.net closing connection
> >     Connection closed by foreign host.
> >
> > But mail to home.isbd.net fails.
>
> If you do "dig home.isbd.net MX" or "dig isbd.net MX" as command lines,
> is the answer the IP for the machine you expect to handle your mail?

I don't *want* this machine to handle my E-Mail!!!!!!!

Sorry!  I'll try and explain in more detail.

The *only* thing I want to be able to do is read mail for root on
my desktop machine without logging in as root.  This machine has *no*
mail connectivity to the outside world, the router blocks incoming
SMTP, I don't send mail from it.  All I want is for the user 'chris'
on this machine to be able to receive mail sent to 'root' on this
machine, that's all.

However the desktop machine *is* visible to the outside world as
home.isbd.net for http and ssh connections, this is why there is a
home.isbd.net entry in the /etc/hosts file.

I read all my 'real' mail (like this mailing list, and personal
E-Mail) on another machine completely that isn't at home.

> Mail uses MX records, when done properly, not A records (nor entries in
> hosts file, I think - I think MX will supersede them, too).
>
> If the MX record points to somewhere else, that's where the mail will go
> to.  Is this domain your own, or are you making use of your ISPs?  And
> is it set up properly.
>
> (I've done a whois lookup, but that's no guarantee that we're chatting
> to the same person.)

A whois of isbd.net or isbd.co.uk shows me!  ISBD Ltd. is my small
business.

--
Chris Green