Re: How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

Chris G wrote:

.lan is very like your home.isbd.net, and that alias works
here. And I can send to summer@localhost.

A remaining difference I can think of is that I'm using DNS as I described a while ago.

You are using a DNS (for outside users) and your hosts files, for computers in the same domain. This is a setup I mostly avoid. I do do that for herakles.homelinux.org, and incoming email addressed to addresses in that domain get relayed inside my home network to another system, and for that I need my own DNS with different information from the public DNS.

There is *no* incoming mail or outgoing mail, I read my mail elsewhere
by connecting to a remote system using ssh.  All I want is to be able
to see mail sent to root on the local system so I can monitor it.

This doesn't prevent it from being confused.

I prefer postfix, I find it easier.

When I ran a mail server on this system I too used postfix, *much*
easier to configure.  But now I don't want any sort of mail server
except to get the local delivery of root mail.
ps
Please run this test and post the results:
telnet home.isbd.net 25
ehlo fred
quit

Where from?  It's not going to work from most places because the
firewall doesn't allow connections on port 25, this system isn't
intended to accept any mail from outside.

Whereever it works. It will tell us sendmail's idea of the host name.

Like this:

[root@potoroo mail]# telnet 127.0.0.1 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 potoroo.demo.lan ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.1/8.14.1; Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:50:08 +0900
ehlo potoroo.demo.lan
250-potoroo.demo.lan Hello localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
quit
221 2.0.0 potoroo.demo.lan closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
[root@potoroo mail]#

If this happens,
[root@potoroo mail]# telnet potoroo.demo.lan 25
Trying 192.168.9.138...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.9.138: Connection refused
[root@potoroo mail]#

then telnet as in the first example.

--

Cheers