Re: Please 'leak' Fedora 8

Mike Chambers wrote:
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 21:15 +1030, Tim wrote:
Tim:
By comparison, I've observed that network or local hard drive
installs take from around 15 to 25 minutes, on average.
Mike Chambers:
Fresh/clean install.  And the last couple versions have been like
this.  And they are taking little over an hour to install, and that as
for around 868 or so packages.  Also an NFS based install via boot.iso
and the DVD.iso.

BTW, that is on a 2.8Ghz 1G Memory system.
That does seem long, but I should have asked how much are you
installing?  Everything but the kitchen sink?  I tend to just do a basic
install, but maybe add about 5 or so packages.  And my systems are a
fraction of that speed.

Just the basic one that comes up initially, productivity/whatever option
that is already selected.  Didn't even bother to customize or anything.

Hrm, guess I'm gonna have to really really do a good precise timing on
it next time, as I am 2nd guessing myself on how long it really took.

Now that F8 is on a DVD it is time to install it. By the way, the Gnome CD-DVD burner is just about the best I have ever seen on a computer! Cudos to the people who wrote it.

When I load F8 I will time it from the time the DVD is selected to the time of first boot to the nearest second. Of course it means nothing because what causes it to be fast is the hardware.

Also it is good that I save the yum.log files so I can recall what I need to get to make Fedora work for me. The people on this list are going to make Fedora a pure product with no commercial software allowed. This is fine provided you be honest with a user. Had I not found a way to yum install commercial software to my Fedora I would be long gone.

The pure Fedora people need to be aware that a F8 user must find out how to do it, or they will use totem to see a movie, discover it doesn't work, and delete Fedora for a version that does work. And you should not say totem works because it can't.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User