Re: Please 'leak' Fedora 8

Konstantin Svist wrote:

Why isn't it made available over BitTorrent, then? Bandwidth isn't nearly as much of a problem, there...

Overall, bandwidth is a much greater problem with torrents. That why some ISPs are "managing" it.

Consider this.

I'm with example.net. The fine folks at example.net cache a local copy at linux.mirrors.example.net for their client's use.

example.net has downloaded it once.

A dozen example clients download it from linux.mirrors.example.net, and do so just as fast as their Internet connexion can possibly go. For me, that's something over 1 Mbytes/sec.

Three dozen others use the torrent. I don't know how well Torrent finds near neighbours, but at least the first few and most likely the last few are pulling from outside example.net's borders. Say example.net downloads a further dozen copies.

It's highly any of unlikely those torrent users pull if faster than they would from linux.mirrors.example.net, and probably most dos so more slowly as they need to find a fair few senders to pull at full speed (and I've noticed that sending at speed does bad things to receiving).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait