Re: Excessive network traffic -

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 13:34 -0700, Tod Merley wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2007 8:09 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ed Greshko wrote:
> > > May I make a simple suggestion as it sounds as if you are fighting a battle
> > > that will continue to be fought?  Keep in mind that I forgot the family
> > > dynamics in play.
> > >
> > > Is your connection to the internet ADSL?  If so, why not just get a second
> > > phone line for ADSL only and another ISP account that is dedicated to the
> > > twins to use.  Maybe you can get it for a discount as you have one account
> > > already and maybe you can get them a lower usage level.  If they use it up,
> > > so be it.  You are unaffected.  Your choice as to who pay the freight.
> > >

> > The family dynamics are good, everyone is cooperating, the kids I can
> > manage.
> >
> > ADSL and Cable are not options in this rural area.  It's either the
> > satellite connection or Verizon dial-up.  We suffered with dial-up for
> > several years, we had two lines actually, canceled those and changed to
> > this Wildblue account which works well normally.
> >
> > I need to find what is driving the usage numbers, they were dropping
> > until about a week ago.  The solution may be to put the boys back on a
> > dial-up or their mother may just leave them without internet?  But that
> > doesn't define/identify the problem.
> >
> > Bob Goodwin

Forgive me if this has already been addressed (I must admit that I've
skipped a lot of threads lately), but, is it maybe possible that the
boxes in question are simply part of some P2P stuff going on? Teenage
boys do indeed love their [porn|mp3's|warez crap|bootleg movies|cracked
software|fill in the blank].

Andy