Re: Blank Screen- 12 inch laptop

On Oct 30, 2007 5:35 PM, Tracy12 <j_lalith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my new Acer Travel Mate laptop the F7 installation did not work at all,
>
> then I started the F6 installation and it went pretty well, the installation
> was successful and there was no driver issue at all as in F7
>
> I got a dual boot other OS is window,
>

> Even though it went allright, After the second restart (after selecting the
> OS option out of windows and fedora dual boot) doesnt matter windows or
> Fedora it gives a blank screen.
>

> My laptop got a smaller screen 12 inch,
>
> Is this something to do with the screen resolution, should I have to give a
> different kernel parameter.
>

> What exactly this problem is , How to overcome this.
>

> Thanks
>

> --

Hi Tracy!

I may not understand all that you are trying to tell us here but I
think you are saying that you are trying to do a dual boot Fedora /
Windows box.  Apparently, after successfully booting into Fedora you
tried to boot into Windows and now it appears to boot into nothing.

If all of the above is true my first guess is that Windows tried to
rebuild the Master Boot Record but somehow failed.

If your box can handle a live CD I think I would use the Fedora Live
CD (or a rescue CD) to get into the box (single user, root, no X (just
a terminal screen)) and look at the files in /var/log (the "tail"
command is often useful as is "less").  As well you can make a copy of
the Master Boot Record using the "dd" command (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record  and search for "dd "
(that is d d space) on the page.  You can view it and understand what
you see using the information here:
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/GRUB.htm

If it turns out to be an X server problem the configuration file is in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf .  If the live CD X server works you can compare
it's configuration with the one in your laptop.

Google is our friend!

Good Hunting!

Tod