Re: Excessive network traffic -

On Oct 30, 2007 8:09 AM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
> > May I make a simple suggestion as it sounds as if you are fighting a battle
> > that will continue to be fought?  Keep in mind that I forgot the family
> > dynamics in play.
> >
> > Is your connection to the internet ADSL?  If so, why not just get a second
> > phone line for ADSL only and another ISP account that is dedicated to the
> > twins to use.  Maybe you can get it for a discount as you have one account
> > already and maybe you can get them a lower usage level.  If they use it up,
> > so be it.  You are unaffected.  Your choice as to who pay the freight.
> >

> The family dynamics are good, everyone is cooperating, the kids I can
> manage.
>
> ADSL and Cable are not options in this rural area.  It's either the
> satellite connection or Verizon dial-up.  We suffered with dial-up for
> several years, we had two lines actually, canceled those and changed to
> this Wildblue account which works well normally.
>
> I need to find what is driving the usage numbers, they were dropping
> until about a week ago.  The solution may be to put the boys back on a
> dial-up or their mother may just leave them without internet?  But that
> doesn't define/identify the problem.
>
> Bob Goodwin
>

> .
>
> --

Hi Bob Goodwin!

I would be tempted to obtain a cheap "boot only" box from a recycler
and set up a sniffer to quantify what is going on with the particular
interfaces.

It may be possible to get an idea on the Linux box with tcpdump and ethereal.

There are many network traffic analyzers out there, Google "linux
network traffic analyzer".

Also, many are available along with Linux live CDs so you could turn
one of your boxes into a statistics gathering tool to find out (Google
"Linux Security Live CD").

Good Hunting!

Tod