Re: nvidia

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
[...]
>> Agreed, which is why I earlier in the thread suggested that the
>> discussion would be better off on the LKML, where the kernel people
>> that makes those decisions could explain it to the people arguing
>> the point about this.
>
> No, the kernel people are and should be free to write total garbage.
> The distributions shouldn't ship that to unsuspecting users, though.

I'm sure you have some idea of how much effort it takes for RHEL to
maintain a stable interface for the life of a release.  That effort
wouldn't happen without a lot of hours and dollars.  Those resources
are not available in the needed quantities in Fedora.

It's also clearly a goal of the Fedora project to follow upstream,
including the kernel.  I was glad when my SD card reader began working
during the FC5 cycle with a kernel update.  Many other folks are happy
with the improvements brought in by new kernels.

If you don't want to update your kernel, add an exclude to the
yum.conf.

If you want to volunteer to help maintain a stable kernel interface in
Fedora, please do so on the kernel list.

But seriously, what gain is there to posting about your dislike of the
kernel's interface policy on this list, repeatedly?  Do you think it's
likely to bring about the changes you are seeking?

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -- Thomas Paine