Re: nvidia

Thus, Les Mikesell at Wed Oct 31 01:13:24 2007 inscribed:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
[snip]
>> Agreed, which is why I earlier in the thread suggested that the
>> discussion would be better off on the LKML, where the kernel people
>> that makes those decisions could explain it to the people arguing the
>> point about this.
>
> No, the kernel people are and should be free to write total garbage. The
> distributions shouldn't ship that to unsuspecting users, though.

You are more than welcome to contribute to Fedora or the kernel. If
coding is not for you, then perhaps QA or packaging is more to taste?
The effort you'd put in would potentially save some unsuspecting users
from the garbage that you are talking about.

What I do not yet understand, and please do enlighten me, is why you
are still here considering the appalling experiences you have had with
Linux, Fedora etc., over what seems to be rather extensive periods of
time. I admire the staying-power, as most people would have given up
years ago, given the totallly disastrous experiences you seem to have
had.

I mean, surely you'd be contributing to and working closely with the
Hurd project as the Linux kernel is such a pile of pap?

>> There is a distinction to be made. When you talk about proprietary,
>> closed source, drivers - then people should be aware that they not
>> just may, they *will*, get strong reactions.
>
> I happen to love my 1st gen tivo.   I suppose you'll try to tell me its a
> bad thing that they exist.

Not a bad thing that they exist, no. As long as they adhere to the
various licenses, such as the GPL, for the components that they have
incorporated into their product.

There was the empeg car-stereo project as well, now that was seriously
awesome, *and* they stuck to the licenses too. How about that?

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
All-Round Linux Tinkerer & RHCE