Re: fc6 nearing eol but f7 not useable yet (rant or feedback?)

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Mike Wright wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Rahul.

Second, where did the Applications->Run Program option go?

Alt+F2. Menu option is hidden by default in upstream GNOME.

Q: if it's really to be known as f7 why are the kernels named
"something.fc7"?  I think the decision to change the naming scheme
wasn't wise.  Google on f7 and you'll get lots of hits on the function
key but very little on fedora.

It is called "Fedora Collection" now. Renaming all packages makes upgrades problematic.

Sounds like fc to me ;)

Q: why was it decided to put marketing names on the applications and
remove their properties?  How are we supposed to help debug, etc, if the
program identities are hidden from us?  This decision forces users back
into CLI mode.  Kind of defeats the whole GUI approach, doesn't it?

Descriptive names are much better for non-technical users compared to a menu entry called "Pup".

Granted, but having the "Properties" link on the icons was a very convenient shortcut and provided a path for non-tech types to see what goes on in the background. There is no reason IMHO the menu entry can't be desciptive as long as there's some way to see the actual program name, whether in the icon's properties or on the app's face somewhere.

You can easily use the menu editor to find out
names without ever touching the command line FYI.

Sounds great.  What's the name of the menu editor?

Enough for now.  I have to figure out why I have two different versions
of dbus with mangled dependencies (which cause pup to bomb).  I'll also
take a look at KDE to see if I have better luck there.

# yum install yum-utils
# package-cleanup --dupes

Thanks! Thatcleaned out all the dupes except dbus-devel. I manually removed those (which unfortunately took a lot of other -devels with it).

Thinking back, there may be a problem in the dbus-1.0.2-6.fc7 package. It kept saying it was looking for dependencies in dbus-1.0.2-4.fc7

Once that was done the Package Updater was able to complete its task and upon reboot my toolbars returned (even though the bottom one was now on top and its properties dialog wouldn't let me select "Bottom" if "Expand" was checked. That's a weird bug.

I would be curious to hear from early adopters what their f(c)8
experiences have been like.

Been good for me.

Good to hear. I think there's still a few gigs laying around in the test box. I'm eager to try 8. Coincidence maybe, but I've had better luck with the even numbered releases than the odd ones.

Thanks again, :m)