Re: Grub Manual

Les Mikesell wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

You should do your homework now, and make a proper effort at understanding the existing GRUB documentation. It may be difficult to understand (though I don't find it so),

Is there a sure-fire way to know the right 'root (hdx,0)' invocation when you are installing grub on the 2nd disk of a raid1 pair when you expect the drive id to shift in case the primary drive dies (scsi) or when you don't (ide)? Of course in the IDE case many failure modes will make the machine not boot until you remove the dead one, in which case you might as well shift it to the primary position anyway, and you'd still like it to boot.

I think grub pretty much follows the BIOS.

All this talk about grub reminds me of something I wanted to do a few years ago and never quite succeeded, so maybe someone else will know how.

I'd like to have a locally installed system, but have one of the boot choices be to network-boot into an LTSP thin-client. I don't want to just PXE boot because I want the default after a timeout to be a local OS. I thought some versions of grub used to be able to do the equivalent of an etherboot internally, but that may be gone now. If I have a stand-alone bootable floppy or CD that will network-boot the way I want, is there a way to copy that to the hard drive and make a grub menu choice that will load it?

Hi Les,

If I understand you correctly that sounds like my setup. I use pxeboot with a tree'd menu. Sub menus are boot, install, and tools. If nothing on the main menu is selected within the timeout period the connecting machine is instructed to boot locally using its own grub loader.

Here is the top level menu (/tftpboot/pxeboot.cfg/default)

DEFAULT menu.c32
TIMEOUT 100
ONTIMEOUT local

MENU TITLE Main Menu

LABEL local
    MENU LABEL Boot from ^Local Drive
    LOCALBOOT 0

LABEL boot
    MENU LABEL ^Boot
    KERNEL menu.c32
    APPEND pxelinux.cfg/boot

LABEL install
    MENU LABEL ^Install
    KERNEL menu.c32
    APPEND pxelinux.cfg/install

LABEL tools
    MENU LABEL ^Tools
    KERNEL menu.c32
    APPEND pxelinux.cfg/tools

If you want the submenus, too, let me know.

Mike Wright :m)