expect telnet issue

Greetings folks,
I've got a few expect scripts that I'm trying to use to automate
telnet logins on some remote power switches.  The expect scripts work
perfectly on their own, but I want/need to create a wrapper for them
so that they're all unified through a single script.  When I call the
expect script via a wrapper bash script, it no longer works.  I get as
far as the "spawn telnet foo.com" command working, and then it just
stalls without ever sending the username/password jazz.

I'm guessing that some kind of env variable isn't getting passed
somewhere, but I can't figure out what.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be going wrong?