Re: Ipods

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 20:05 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > No, udev works fine.  The thing appears as "/media/Rick Stevens's iPod"
> > (spaces included), which is difficult to make work in Amarok.
>
> Really?  I didn't imagine amarok would so fragile about spaces.  I'm
> pretty sure I've seen it handle them in filenames before (though I'm
> not a regular user of it at all).
>
> > To get around that, I unmounted it and manually mounted it as root
> > using:
> >
> > 	# mkdir /media/ipod
> > 	# chmod 777 /media/ipod
> > 	# mount -t hfsplus -ouid=500,gid=500,umask=0 \
> > 		/dev/sdc3 /media/ipod
> >
> > It mounted up at /media/ipod, an "ls -l /media/ipod" reveals
> > everything has decent permissions (777 or 666, depending) and I'm
> > shown as the user and group for almost everything (some stuff is
> > "nobody").  However, amarok still bitches that it's a read-only file
> > system and thus won't show a playlist or anything.  More or less
> > useless.
>
> Indeed.  I know that amarok use libgpod for its ipod services.  I'd be
> very interested in finding out if there is a bug someplace in libgpod
> that's causing your trouble, because I'd like to get it fixed.  If you
> have time for fiddling and want to try and debug this, let me know.

Sure.  I'd like to know what's going on.

> Is this on FC6 or F7?

Well, both.  My desktop machine at the office is F6, 32-bit (fully
updated).  On one of my F7 machines which I just tried (x86_64, Intel
Core Duo), the "Configure Amarok" shows the device and shows sdb3 as an
Apple iPod media device.  It shows up in /media as
"Rick Stevens's iPod" (with spaces).  However, clicking on the "Connect"
icon causes a "Media Device: No mounted iPod found".  Now, since the
automounter mounted it in media, I don't have a "mount" command
configured in Amarok.  Could that be the issue?

>   I'm planning to finally get an updated libgpod
> pushed to F7, hopefully early next week.  FC6 will probably stay where
> it is.

Ok.

>   I mention this on the off chance that there's a bug which has
> already been fixed by newer versions of libgpod.

On my F7, it's libgpod-0.4.2-1.fc7, both i686 and x86_64 versions
(machine is an Intel Core Duo).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -